Tuesday - Sunday
7:00 am - 2:00 pm

7:00 am - 2:00 pm

7:00 am - 2:00 pm




Pengree Plantation.... Prior to 1776 there were not many settlers in what became Clay County, Florida, but there were some estates in the eastern part, and the two Spanish roads in that area were still in use. Besides the Colville plantation at the forks of Black Creek, the only other plantations that can definitely be located are those of William Pengree, Christopher Neely and Patrick Tonyn.

William and Rebecca Pengree received 2000 acres of land north and west of Doctors Lake and also claimed an adjoining tract of 800 acres by 1776.  They left the plantation in 1783 when Florida returned to Spanish rule, but returned in 1787 and worked the plantation for seven more years.  In 1794 an uprising called "Wagner's War" broke out and the Spanish governor forced the Pengrees and all other inhabitants on the westbank of the St. Johns River to abandon their property while the govemment tried to restore order. The Pengrees lost their estate valued at $7,000.00 to Indians and "rebels". William died shortly after this and Rebecca sold most of the property to Zephaniah Kingsley on Nov 26, 1803 for $5,300.00. The purchase consisted of Laural Spring 440.50 acres; Laurel Grove, 1,880 acres (which became Orange Park in 1817); "Cook" or "Cooke" Plantation., 110.40 acres; and 'Good Fortune" or "Good Luck" Plantation 181 acres. Kingsley later acquired a tract of land "Maple Spring', 400 acres; containing Seminole Springs (Also known as Wadesboro Springs). The other Pengree holdings were granted to Paul Fontaine in 1817.